Welcome Message

Welcome one and all, near and far,


Welcome to my blog LivingWithBilly.

Ever wonder what it would be like to live with someone who has a special disability?

Now you can somewhat get and idea. Read on to see more!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 8:Autisim Discoveries, Saying of the week, Book sneak peek.

Hello, readers!

Christmas is this week are you as excited as Billy and I? Billy can't wait for Santa Claus and opening presents. He is very good at opening presents.  This weekend I found some really interesting Autism articles online. Here is my imput on them.

Autism Discoveries
    Can Living Near A Highway Cause Autism?
According to TIME, if you live approximetly 1,000 feet away from away at birth you have a higher chance of getting Autism. Here's my reaction:........*crickets*......
Seriously? Seriously? A highway? The only interesting thing about this article is how far people are going to sell their merchandise. If living near a highway causes Autism...then my anxiety is caused from the farm up the street. How low can people get to selling magazines or getting hits online? Really? This has to be one of the stupidest things I have EVER heard. Then, they go on to say that th eair pollution or exposure to traffic has nothing to do with it...um, that would be a better cause than just living near one. If that's not the reason though....what is? NOTHING BECAUSE IT'S NOT TRUE!!! The vaccines that kids get has to have some sort of impact. Whether its the vaccine doesn't react the way it's supposed to but, doesn't show up differently through tests or doctors don't do them right, they have to be an impact on Autism.  Im sorry but, the highway thing...just antoher way to get views. It's like the lawsuit happening against McDonalds happy meal toys....SO STUPID!

LINK-- 
<http://healthland.time.com/2010/12/17/study-living-near-a-highway-may-contribute-to-autism-risk/


Bibliography:Melnick, Meredith. "Study: Living Near a Highway May Contribute to Autism Risk." TIME Magazine 17 December 2010: n. pag. Web. 19 Dec 2010. <http://healthland.time.com/2010/12/17/study-living-near-a-highway-may-contribute-to-autism-risk/>. 

Is Picky Eating Habits A Symtom Of Autism?
According to Time, picky eating at an early is a symptom of Autism. I laughed when I read this. Seriously? Are people just getting more and more stupid lately? I'm a picky eater...do I have Autism? No! Now people who see that thier children are picky eaters at an early age will think this...it's most likely not the case! Really...this is aggrivating that people are taking advantage of this disease for money and views on an article. Everyone is picky about what they eat. I'm picky about various things, my sister about meat and various others and my brother about meat and various others. This is getting really stupid....on to the next article! By the way, this author didn't even spell picky right...she spelt it Finicky in the tab but, Picky on the article....hmmm.

Read this for yourself though. Tell me what you think.

LINK--
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2004676,00.html

Bibliography:
Alice, Park. "Is Picky Eating A Sign Of Autism?." TIME Magazine 19 July 2010: n. pag. Web. 19 Dec 2010. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2004676,00.html.

A Genetic Link Between Anorexia and Autism?
By looking at the title, I'm not even going to start on this one....what's your imput?

Here's the link-
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1904999,00.html
Saying Question Of The Week
I'm mixing it up this week. I'm going to ask you a question and I want your imput on the answer. This is also apart of my book in a way. Here it is:

"What is normal?"
Book Sneak Peek
I heard the lady next to us talking about Billy and I shot her a dirty look.  I was now on the edge and didn’t want to be messed with. Billy can’t help the way he acts especially right now. I looked at him smiling like nothing was wrong playing with the IPhone. He looked so sweet and innocent. More and more people were staring now and talking about him. In my head I kept chanting ‘shut up, shut up, and shut up. Don’t talk about him.’ But, I couldn’t bring myself out to say these words.  Finally, my Mom came to the table with the food and Billy gave me the IPhone. I tried eating but, all I could see was everyone staring and talking about Billy. Repeatedly, I gave them all dirty looks. They didn’t understand that he had something wrong with him that he couldn’t help.  I sighed as they kept watching us. I wanted to scream out that he can’t help himself. Over and over again I looked at him. Billy was just sitting there peacefully eating his food. He was doing the Tics that were scaring me so much still but, I had to try to ignore them. The more I ignored everything around me though, the more things started to aggravate me. It felt like there were these voices in my head just screaming out at me. I wanted to stand up, run out of the restaurant and scream until I lost my voice but, I couldn’t. Instead, I sat there and stared at Billy. Would this ever end? Finally, we left and people stared at us as we cleaned up. On our way out I heard something though that really got me angry.

“Finally he’s gone. We can eat in peace.”

Angrily, I looked behind me getting ready to scream at the little old lady. Instead, I was a coward and went into the car holding back tears and staring at Billy doing this Tic. I thought about everything that just happened. How could anyone talk meanly about this little boy? How could anyone ever look at him the wrong way? Billy is the sweetest and happiest little boy there is. He’s in his own little world of toys and games and probably cookies and sweets. He just wants to be loved and live life happy. Maybe it will be harder than we thought though.  Maybe he won’t be ever considered ‘normal’. Whatever that is.






5 comments:

  1. No one knows what normal is and for some normal is anything that makes a person the same as everyone else. No one is normal!! We are all different from eachother. You know what Brianna, Billy will grow up and show everyone just what normal is!!! He has taught us all so much. You are teaching so many people so much by teaching them who billy is and that he is someone not to be afraid of rather to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW we live 1000 ft from the highway LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only "normal" people out there are the ones you don't know very well.....

    Great job Brianna - keep up the good work!

    Oh, and I grew up about 200 feet from a highway. Of course, I'm not "normal", but I'm also not autistic. Silly articles. You should write a letter to the editor - let 'em know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normal is relative, Brianna.

    In my life, I have found that there really is no one standard for "what is normal".....What is normal for you is probably unusual for someone else. Everyone's got a different way of doing things and getting the job done; as long as you get the job done, who really cares? Of course some people really enjoy being different just for the sake of being different, but that's another subject altogether.

    As long as there's no harm or ill-intention, then normal is just a relative term. Chew on that for a while, Brianna. Those people who stare at Billy and openly judge him without thinking about what may be causing him to act the way he does are just ignorant people who don't deserve your explanation anyways- Screw 'em!

    Oh BTW Me and your dad have never been "Normal", but we have always gotten the job done and done what we are supposed to do. We are more successful than 90% of the "normal" people out there. Something else to chew on.

    Also, GREAT JOB on the blog so far! Keep 'Em coming!

    Uncle Nick

    ReplyDelete